Using ThingLink to Show Mastery of Division and QR Code Variable Activity

Saturday, September 26, 2015

I am excited to share two new activities that my students completed this week.  I have been teaching division using the standard algorithm for the past week or two.  This week we moved onto writing equations using variables to solve for the unknown.

While I was small grouping with students who needed a bit more instruction on division, I had students complete a division project using ThingLink.  This is the first time I have used ThingLink and I LOVE IT!
ThingLink has a free version for teachers.  It allows the teacher to create a group or a class.  Then you can invite students to join your group with a specific invite code.  This allows you to have all of their projects in one place.  It makes grading so easy! ThingLink is also an App for Ipads.
Before the students got started, I made sure all the students became a part of my "group" or "class".  Then I gave each student a step by step handout that explained my expectations for this project.  You can download your own copy of the handout by clicking HERE.
Here is a couple of examples of projects that were submitted by my students.




I used a rubric when grading each of the projects.  Here is a copy of the rubric.

I really loved using this tool, this week. THANKS THINGLINK!!!


I use many different activities to practice writing equations using variables.  One of my favorite ways to get students excited about writing equations is by using any of Greg Tang's books.  I used Math Appeal.  Together we use the pictures and poems to quickly count the number of items on the page.  We formulate equations together as a class and collect them in our journals.


For Example: If we were to encounter this particular picture and poem, we would formulate an equation to find the number of snails.  S= (5x5) - 3 
We would pretend that all five rows of snails have 5 snails.  Then we would subtract the 3 snails that are missing.  S=22 snails. 

Another activity I use to reinforce this skill is Mystery Beads: What's Inside?
I pre-made 13 film canisters, the dark kind you cannot see through, with a set number of beads inside. I made a recording sheet with word problems that students will use to determine the number of beads inside.  
For example: 
There are a total of 12 beads inside.  There are 4 yellow beads and the rest are blue.  Write an equation below to find the number of blue beads.  Let B represent blue.

Then students would write an equation, solve the equation and open up the film canister to reveal the number of beads inside.




I realize how hard it is to find film canisters, so I took pictures of my canisters and beads and turned them into QR codes. I like the actual film canisters best, but if you are in a pinch, just print off the activity and students can reveal the contents by scanning the QR code. HERE is a copy of the What's Inside Activity @ my TpT store! 

Next week I am working on Order of Operations and the importance of parenthesis and brackets. I would love to hear from you or see pictures of your class! Please comment below.
Have a WONDERFUL WEEK!
Peace, Love, Math-
Jennifer







2 comments

  1. Jennifer,
    I saw your blog shared with the Instructional Coaches. I love that you are blogging and sharing the fabulous things going on in your classroom. Bonus points for using Thinglink! I'm working with a campus on creating teacher blogs and would love it if I could share your blog with them. Would that be ok iwth you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I am happy to share! Thank you for the compliment!

      Delete